HTA Update – An Open Email

 News  Comments Off on HTA Update – An Open Email
Jul 302015
 

Recently the HTA received a great email from Ted and Robyn at Onkas, the questions and answers below seem to me to be of interest to all Clubs and so, with the Onkaparinga Club’s permission and my belief in full transparency, I’ve posted this information below for all who are interested to read.

Read only if you have time, but contains good wide ranging general information.

Kind regards,

Myles Pope

HTA President

 

*** Email chain below, HTA in red ***

 

Dear Ted/Robyn,

 

I’m back from leave, the MC has discussed your letter and we have some new information and so I wanted to also thank you both for your letter and suggestions and add my own comments to your questions.

 

  • The Recording Secretary role should be put out to all clubs for tender;

Thanks. The Clubs can’t afford (and nor should they) for the HTA work to be done on a fully commercial basis and paying some roles but not others has proven impossible to justify on fairness grounds and so under my Presidency, the HTA has re-committed itself to being as far as possible an entirely volunteer organisation and ideally we don’t want to use financial incentives, contracts or other payments. We believe a small gratuity is appropriate so that volunteers are not out of pocket for phone, postage, petties etc but beyond that the HTA will be staffed by volunteers. In line with this policy, the Recording Secretary contract has been allowed to lapse. A new Recording Sub-Committee has been created and Chaired by new volunteer Chris Geue and we are looking for an assistant for her. I’m happy with this reform and there will be cost saving to the Clubs and reduced perceptions of ‘payments to family of Committee members’ etc. We should applaud Chris’ bravery for being prepared to take on a formerly contract role as a volunteer – just brilliant and equally I’d like to thank Fiona Pobke for her long standing contract and other work, I think this is a positive change for all.

  • Our Committee shared a concern that the current Treasurer’s home address is being used for HTA mail/correspondence, particularly if Treasurer changes, also concerns with integrity, suggest a central PO Box, as with most other sporting clubs;

Yes, agree. We try to use HTA email addresses and official PO Box and we have our official PO Box in Stirling. I think for convenience sometimes personal addresses get used but I fully accept your point that it is more professional to be official. The main point is integrity/honesty and I totally agree with your point about integrity. My promise to you and all Clubs is that whilst I’m on the Committee, we will leave no matter univestigated, we will be totally transparent and totally pedantic about ensuring that integrity issues are ‘perfect’ and that any ‘mistake’s or fraud (of which I haven’t found any evidence yet) is open and transparently discussed with all Clubs. We are tightening up on all the financials and making sure we can transparently track every cent and disclose openly to the Clubs where every cent goes. No kickbacks, no deals for family members etc etc. Honesty, integrity and openness is my strong commitment. Volunteers work on trust and I know Adrian works very hard and works on this trust basis too and I’m sure he would be the first to agree with you that verification is needed too. I will be looking to put right not only anything that we find that is marginal or wrong but put right anything that has the perception of being wrong, too.

  • Financial reports need to be emailed to clubs prior to each AGM to allow sufficient time to peruse;

Yes, agree. At least 7 days. We will do this for next AGM.

  • HTA MC to raise with Tennis SA why we should be paying Metro versus Hills/Country Affiliation fees  as they still allow us in Country Carnival, being the strongest Association, seems like revenue raising and a little unfair;

Yes, we’ve taken this view to Tennis SA, their response is attached. HTA has called on Tennis SA for consideration of a moratorium on future increases as HTA believes we are close to ‘capacity to pay’ levels. TSA are aware of this and apparently supportive.

 

TSA Andrew Hidson Justification Of Affiliation Fees

 

  • Clubs should be canvassed if they want to buy balls locally or buy for the best price, for example this last season, Tucker Tennis was cheaper than Sportspower, after all, it is the clubs paying.

Yes, generally agree. Our goal is Slazenger balls at cheapest price. The other factors we will consider for 2015/16 are 1. Mt Barker Sports Power gives every child in the closed Tournament a $10 gift voucher, some suppliers may be manipulating the market eg selling below cost to drive out other businesses, do we support local businesses ahead of price alone. On balance, we will increasingly be biased towards best price and we aim to get the ball costs as close to ‘lowest possible’ price in Australia as possible.

  • Remove byes where possible, particularly in Division 1.

Yes, agree. MC Agrees that a bye, especially in Div 1 doesn’t make apparent sense. Check the new Rules of Match and Play here.

  • Make the draw consistent , do not mix it up, finish how it is started, i.e.  some teams played against each other only at the beginning and end of the seasons and also only had gaps of 2-3 weeks before playing that team again.

Yes, agree that is frustrating. It is not through lack of desire that draws are imperfect. Tough job to get perfect. To defend the JAC/SAC here, regrading is sometimes essential to prevent unhappy players and farcical outcomes and so re-programming is sometimes needed but is a last resort. Re-programming is complex, hard to please everyone and fraught. If you have a particular interest in this area, please come back to us because you would be welcome to join in on the Committee deliberations and help us achieve the best win-win outcomes.

 

Thanks very much for your great comments. I might publish on the website because the information has relevance well beyond Onkas. All the best.

 

Myles Pope

HTA President

 

 

Kind regards,
Myles Pope

0417 20 22 44

 

From: HTA Vice President [mailto:vice.president@hta.asn.au]
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 22:13
To: Ted Knight <knightscastle.157@bigpond.com>; Robyn Bond-Wallner – home <wallner@adam.com.au>
Cc: Myles Pope <myles.pope@mlpa.com.au>
Subject: Re: List of concerns/issues to HTA MC

 

Hi Robyn & Ted

 

Melissa forwarded your email to me as Myles is currently away on holidays (in the NT so very patchy mobile and email coverage) hence my reply.

 

I have emailed Andrew Wilson from Tennis SA re the affiliation fees. I remember when the fee structure changed from the insurance fee and the per player fee to the one off fee based on the number of courts. I remember that for most clubs this worked out cheaper than the previous model and from memory was partly introduced to encourage clubs to register all players as lots of clubs weren’t to save themselves some money. As to the reasons why we are classed as Metro instead of country for fee structure I’ll await a response from Andrew. Andrew and Brett Hidson are coming to our MC meeting on Monday so will also have the opportunity to discuss with him in person as well.

 

Re the PO Box I know the HTA has one at Stirling but would imagine Adrian uses his home address for convenience when it comes to sending out accounts receiving cheques etc. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific with your concerns with this so I can discuss/investigate further?

 

Re the RS role – at our last MC meeting it was decided to abolish the RS position and form a new recording sub-committee. (minutes are on the website). The idea is to share the workload around between several people and to make this committee a volunteer one (with possibly a gratuity as per anyone else who holds a HTA position. This will also save the HTA money). There is currently one volunteer on this committee and we are looking for another. Maybe there is someone at Onkas who would like to join this committee for the coming year?

 

Will raise the issue of emailing the financial reports prior to AGM- agree more time is needed to look through the reports. (I’ve had a longer look since the AGM and  if you have any particular questions re the reports please let me know and I will ask)

 

Re balls – the ball contract has expired and currently investigating cost, sponsorship etc. From memory, at last year’s AGM there was a vote/discussion to either purchase from local suppliers or from the cheapest. The local supplier was decided upon. Again I am aware of the difference in price between the local supplier (who does sponsor many sporting clubs in the Hills) and Bruce who ‘s price is cheapest. I believe this will be discussed again at MC level once a decision is made on the brand and the details, terms and conditions of the sponsorship package are known. I acknowledge the cost to clubs and the difference it can make over the season so will ask the MC to take on board your suggestion.

 

Re the byes, making the draw consistent etc  I know there were a number of issues last year which they tried to overcome with the regrade but the regrade created some additional issues in regards to the program. The programming is often made more difficult because clubs put requests in to have certain teams playing at home together and if they are in divisions with a different number of teams then this again complicates the issue. Then there is the balancing of home and away matches, making sure that not too many matches are programmed at a venue for the number of courts etc multiplied by the number of clubs/teams and it is not a simple matter. From conversations I have had with Jo many of these issues will be looked at but the bye issue comes down to how many teams are nominated (last year’s ladies issue was due to the regrade) so sometimes can’t be helped.

I know the SAC are looking for another person to join the committee to help make these decisions. Perhaps Onkas has someone who is willing to assist the SAC this year by being on the committee and assisting with the workload, perhaps even take on the task of programming senior matches?

 

Your concerns will be raised at the meeting on Monday night- I just wanted to respond  to let you know I am following up in Myles’ absence and to provide you with some answers for now. If you can provide some more info as requested above or have any other questions or some offers of helpers then please let me know

 

Kind Regards

 

Sue Hutson
Vice President
Hills Tennis Association
0421705302

 

 

From: Bond-Wallner, Robyn [mailto:rbond-wallner@staff.pac.edu.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 9 June 2015 2:32 PM
To: president@hillstennis.net.au
Cc: secretary@hillstennis.net.au; ‘wallner@adam.com.au’; Ted Knight (knightscastle.157@bigpond.com)
Subject: FW: List of concerns/issues to HTA MC

 

Dear Myles and the HTA Management Committee

 

At the AGM, clubs were asked to raise any concerns or issues they deemed need addressing with the HTA Management Committee.  After our meeting on 5 May, our Committee agreed and asked that the following be addressed:

 

The Recording Secretary role should be put out to all clubs for tender;

  • Our Committee shared a concern that the current Treasurer’s home address is being used for HTA mail/correspondence, particularly if Treasurer changes, also concerns with integrity, suggest a central PO Box, as with most other sporting clubs;
  • Financial reports need to be emailed to clubs prior to each AGM to allow sufficient time to peruse;
  • HTA MC to raise with Tennis SA why we should be paying Metro versus Hills/Country Affiliation fees  as they still allow us in Country Carnival, being the strongest Association, seems like revenue raising and a little unfair;
  • Clubs should be canvassed if they want to buy balls locally or buy for the best price, for example this last season, Tucker Tennis was cheaper than Sportspower, after all, it is the clubs paying.
  • Remove byes where possible, particularly in Division 1.
  • Make the draw consistent , do not mix it up, finish how it is started, i.e.  some teams played against each other only at the beginning and end of the seasons and also only had gaps of 2-3 weeks before playing that team again.

 

Don’t hesitate contacting me if you require any further clarification.

Thank you in anticipation of your Committee’s consideration.

 

Kind regards

Ted Knight

President

Onkaparinga Tennis Club

 Posted by at 17:42

2015/16 HTA Senior & Junior Conference Agenda (for Wed 5th Aug 7:15pm HFC)

 News  Comments Off on 2015/16 HTA Senior & Junior Conference Agenda (for Wed 5th Aug 7:15pm HFC)
Jul 302015
 

Attached at the following link is the Agenda for next Wed’s 2015/16 HTA Senior & Junior Conference

Please note: Our special thanks go to Andrew Wilson from Tennis SA who has kindly agreed to be our guest speaker. If you have any questions for Andrew about any aspect of  Tennis in SA from competition formats to facilities, to affiliation fees or balls etc etc, Andrew will be very happy to answer those on the night.

 

Agenda (click to view/download)

 

Senior Junior Conference

 Posted by at 16:26

**Reminder** – HTA Senior & Junior Conference. Wed 5th August 2015, 7:15-7:30 start. Hahndorf Footy Club.

 News  Comments Off on **Reminder** – HTA Senior & Junior Conference. Wed 5th August 2015, 7:15-7:30 start. Hahndorf Footy Club.
Jul 282015
 

Senior Junior Conference

**Reminder** – HTA Senior & Junior Conference. Wed 5th August 2015, 7:15-7:30 start. Hahndorf Football Club.

 

The purpose of the HTA Senior Junior conference is to set the scene for the upcoming summer tennis season, discuss dates, tournaments, junior development news, finals, the new software soon to be released by Tennis SA and much more…

 

The formal Conference Agenda will be posted to web/email shortly for you to bring with you.

 

All Clubs are politely reminded that two delegates from each Club are required to attend as per the HTA Constitution. We need a quorum, so please don’t be the Club that doesn’t show and makes us re-schedule the meeting for another time.

 

The format of the evening will be an informal round table conference, biscuits and tea/coffee will be provided and everyone will be invited to either just listen or have a say, ask questions etc.

 

Junior matters will be dealt with first, then combined junior/senior matters, then senior items. Junior coordinators may leave at the conclusion of the combined session, should they wish to do so.

 

Please keep in mind that the HTA exists simply to administer the competitions that your Club participates in and your Club’s input and help is always welcome. Since the AGM, we have bid a fond farewell to Ian Barry (former JAC Chair) who we congratulate for winning employment at Tennis SA. We now urgently need someone interested in junior tennis to take over from Ian and join the JAC to chair the meetings, learn about JAC and help administer junior tennis in the Hills. Also, we have had the very fabulous Chris Geue bravely join the MC to Chair the new Recording Sub-Committee, if you would like to join Chris and tackle the challenges of the Recording role including the new software recording system then she would love your assistance, as little or as much as you are able to contribute. Please consider nominating for either of these fun, important and rewarding roles. No direct experience is essential.  Any candidate can learn as they go, all that is required is a little free time and a passion for tennis in the Hills.

 

If your Club has any specific issues that you would like to raise in the public forum of the conference, please submit your topic ASAP to Melissa secretary@hta.asn.au for inclusion in the soon to be released Agenda.

 

Many thanks and see you next Wed 5th August at the Hahndorf Footy Club. 7:15 for 7:30pm start.

 

Kind regards,

HTA Management Committee

 Posted by at 02:37

You’re invited to the 2015 Tennis SA Club Development Conference

 News  Comments Off on You’re invited to the 2015 Tennis SA Club Development Conference
Jul 262015
 

 

Image removed by sender. http://comms.tennis.com.au/a/hBVsJYbB8tVjwB9DbXYAAAAAAbw/spacer.gif

 

 

 

 

 

You’re invited to the 2015 Tennis SA Club Development Conference


The 2015 Tennis SA Club Development Conference is a great way for the South Australian tennis community to come together to share their tennis experiences and knowledge.

At the conference you will hear from Tennis SA and Tennis Australia about new initiatives that we have implemented to reach our goal of 1 million registered players including:

  • Website and Communications
  • Places to Play
  • Participation Programs and Recruitment
  • Retaining and Rewarding Members

Full agenda for the day can be viewed here

The Conference will be held from 9.00am until 4.00pm on Sunday, 16 August 2015 at Next Generation Health Club and will be headlined by key note speaker Keith Bradshaw.

Keith Bradshaw played 25 first class cricket matches for Tasmania in the 1980s, batting in the middle order and captaining the side in David Boon’s absence. After completing a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Tasmania, Mr Bradshaw worked with Price Waterhouse and Deloitte, where he was a partner. In 2006, Mr Bradshaw was appointed as Secretary and Chief Executive of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), the owners and operators of Lord’s Cricket Ground. Keith is now the CEO of SACA.

The conference is free to attend for all Tennis SA affiliated clubs and associations.

Please feel free to forward this on to any members who might be interested in attending.

To register to attend please click here – https://tennissaconference2015.eventbrite.com.au

Please register your place by Sunday, 9 August 2015. Any questions at all please contact Tennis SA at sareception@tennis.com.au

We look forward seeing you at the conference!

READ MORE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Posted by at 21:44

Club Contacts – please update before Junior/Senior Conference

 News  Comments Off on Club Contacts – please update before Junior/Senior Conference
Jul 172015
 

My apologies for previous emails, this is the correct file for your club to read through, check and update as necessary via HTA Secretary.  Your club will be asked to sign off a hard copy of this record at the upcoming Junior/Senior Conference on Wednesday 5th August.

 

Thank you for your cooperation.

 

pdf icon Club-Contacts-14-07-15.pdf

 Posted by at 23:14

Notice of upcoming HTA Junior/Senior Conference

 News  Comments Off on Notice of upcoming HTA Junior/Senior Conference
Jul 142015
 

HTA Junior/Senior Conference will be held at Hahndorf Football Clubrooms on Wednesday 5th August at 7.30pm .

 

Clubs are reminded of their responsibility to have 2 representatives in attendance as per the HTA Constitution.

 

Apologies to be sent to Secretary@hta.asn.au

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Posted by at 20:26